Today I’m welcoming Brandy Buskow back to the podcast!
We’re digging into why it’s important to focus and take at least 6 months on preconception health to ensure a healthy postpartum.
Check out episode #6 for a functional medicine 101 talk plus a look at some of the tools we use to help couples conceive.
Brandy is part of my team here at Fab Fertile. She is our Clinical Advisor and an integral part of our Couples Coaching program – which uses functional lab testing, diet, and lifestyle changes to dramatically improve conception. If you are struggling with infertility…your body is desperately trying to tell you something…focusing on your health will either help you get pregnant naturally or if you do need to go to the fertility clinic it will improve your chances of success.
She is a Functional Diagnostic Nutrition Practitioner and Certified Transformational Health Coach and EFT Practitioner.
If you’re anything like me when I was TTC I was in a panic. I wanted to get pregnant like…yesterday.
But what I didn’t realize and what I now know for sure is that my body was desperately trying to tell me something.
And heading straight to IVF and pumping it full of medications and drugs was not the answer.
Although I was able to conceive my kids with donor eggs my postpartum period was not good.
My hormones were imbalanced, my mood was up and down like a rollercoaster and I was basically a hot mess. Even though at the time I thought I was okay (I’m a push though it kind of person), which can have its benefits, however, I was completely disconnected from my body. I had no idea that food sensitivities, gut infections, chronic stress, and hypothyroidism were wreaking havoc on my body.
That’s why addressing our preconception health NOW helps us have a much more positive postpartum experience.
Our Fab Fertile Method takes a targeted approach to preconception health. Our team of fertility experts guides you through a proven plan that optimizes both you and your partner for a happy healthy pregnancy – which optimizes your postpartum period.
Because although we are single-mindedly focused on having our baby, the more we can optimize our health the better we are able to take care of our baby.
It’s about putting the oxygen mask on first and learning how to mother yourself because when we take care of ourselves and ask for help we are teaching our children to do the same.
This episode is for you:
Feel like running out of time and in a panic to conceive
Tried everything and not sure why it’s not working so IVF seems like the next logical step
Don’t know how to optimize postpartum health
On this podcast you’ll learn:
1) Why postpartum health is an important consideration before you are trying to conceive.
2) How epigenetics impact our pregnancy and baby. Is infertility being passed on to the next generation?
3) The impact of children’s health and the rising epidemic of childhood disease – why it’s essential to take a step back to take one giant leap forward.
4) Increased risk of autoimmunity after pregnancy for the mother (i.e. Hashimoto’s, Celiac, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Irritable Bowel Disease)
5) Themes we see with secondary infertility and why this matters if you are TTC.
6) Steps we can take right now to optimize preconception health
- How many women have issues with postpartum but there is a stigma around it
10:36- WHY IS POSTPARTUM HEALTH IMPORTANT BEFORE YOU CONCEIVE?
- The stress pregnancy puts on your body and taking that seriously
- Pre-conception health and how it is effecting your children postpartum
- Infertility getting passed on through generations
- “The health of your grandmother will affect the health of your child.”
- Identifying what is in your control and working on environmental exposures
- “You can only control what you can control.”
- Child spacing and giving your body time to health
- The overuse of antibiotics & c-section trends
18:58- TOXICITIES IN OUR ENVIRONMENT & HOW THAT IS AFFECTING OUR HEALTH
- The impact our cultural lifestyles are having on our children
- Increased disease trends in future generations
22:17- AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE AFTER PREGNANCY & SECONDARY INFERTILITY
- Being pregnant has a major toll on your body
- There are things you can do and paying attention to symptoms
- “Allow your body to fully heal.”
- How postpartum recovery is effected by nutrient deficiencies
- “There are no negative side effects of working on your health.”
- The importance of breastfeeding (if you can)
- Getting probiotics into your children
- Feeling free to ask your doctor more questions
- “We are the only ones that can advocate for our children.”
- What you can do if you have a C-Section and taking control over what you can control
39:40- MENTAL HEALTH AND NOT BEATING YOURSELF UP
- The importance of nutrient-dense food for recovery
- Why this is NOT the time to diet and try to lose your baby weight
- Taking Food sensitivities seriously
- “It’s important to ask for help.”
Sponsored by: BLUBlox (Sleep+ is the world’s most advanced blue and green light blocking glasses addressing the exact frequencies of light required after dark to optimally produce melatonin for restorative sleep and health) Visit BLUBlox website at: https://www.blublox.com Use coupon code: getpregnantpodcast to receive 15% discount. Free shipping worldwide.
Book your free Supercharge Your Fertility Discovery call. We’ll come up with a simple plan to help you move forward…towards your dream of having your baby.
Listen here (be sure to HIT the subscribe button so you never miss an episode):