We’re digging into the basic supplements you need to know about if you are TTC.
There’s a lot of information about which supplements are right for fertility.
And like most women that I speak with you are probably taking A LOT of supplements.
But are these supplements optimizing or harming your fertility?
And taking supplements for years and not really knowing WHY or if they are helpful… doesn’t make sense either!
As you may know, we take a functional approach to fertility and while supplements are included in our customized protocols (which are based on testing) they are only a part of the equation.
There’s no magic pill you can take that will out-supplement the basics – such as diet, sleep, movement and stress.
That’s why we wanted to talk about the BASIC supplements that we DO recommend for both men and women so that you don’t waste time and money taking the wrong ones.
Today I’m welcoming Justine Altman back to the podcast.
Justine is part of my team here at Fab Fertile. She is an integral part of our Couples Coaching program – which uses functional lab testing, diet, and lifestyle changes to dramatically improve conception. If you are struggling with infertility… your body is desperately trying to tell you something… focusing on your health will either help you get pregnant naturally or if you do need to go to the fertility clinic it will improve your chances of success.
Justine is a Functional Diagnostic Nutrition Practitioner. She was diagnosed with POCS and struggled with infertility but after taking a functional approach was able to have both her children naturally.
In this episode you’ll learn:
- How to watch out for dyes, fillers and top allergens in your supplements
- Our take on generalized fertility supplement recommendations (are they worth your money?) i.e. chaste tree, maca, royal jelly, bee pollen, zinc, iron
- Our basic supplement recommendations (these are the supplements you need to be taking if you are TTC) – your partner is included too!
- Our approach with supplements and why they are only part of the equation. We discuss the importance of diet, sleep, exercise and stress so that you can prepare your body in the best way for pregnancy success.
2:03 WELCOME JUSTINE & INTRO TO TODAY’S TOPIC
3:32 FIGURING OUT THE RIGHT SUPPLEMENTS FOR YOU
- How we use testing to develop targeted supplement recommendations
- Sorting through the confusing and often contradictory supplement recommendations out there
- Our simple approach to supplementation
- Supplements don’t eliminate the need for the basics.
5:52 HIGH-QUALITY SUPPLEMENTS ARE ESSENTIAL
- Many supplements contain harmful dyes, allergens and more
- Common issues with low-quality supplements
- A lot of standard supplements are not at a therapeutic level that will move the needle for you.
- How a practitioner can help you to identify high-quality supplements
- The shocking discovery we made about buying supplements on Amazon
8:47 SORTING THROUGH COMMON FERTILITY SUPPLEMENT RECOMMENDATIONS
- Different types of supplements have the potential to be helpful but they’re not necessarily for everyone.
- When you’re taking supplements it’s important that they’re right for you and your chemistry
- Our foundational supplement recommendations
10:24 SUPPLEMENT RECOMMENDATION #1: PRENATALS & MULTIVITAMINS
- The most critical element to look for in a prenatal vitamin
- What MTHFR means for your fertility
- The key elements men should look for in a multivitamin
13:37 SUPPLEMENT RECOMMENDATION #2: CoQ10
- CoQ10’s role in supporting sperm health
- In most cases it’s recommended to discontinue CoQ10 after conception
14:29 SUPPLEMENT RECOMMENDATION #3: MAGNESIUM
- Around 85% of people are deficient in magnesium.
- Common symptoms of magnesium deficiency
- Magnesium is a critical element in the optimal functioning of your reproductive system
15:46 SUPPLEMENT RECOMMENDATION #4: OMEGA-3
- The difference between Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids
- Why Omega-3’s are important for your hormone health
17:02 SUPPLEMENT RECOMMENDATION #5: VITAMINS D3 AND K2
- Why Vitamins D3 and K2 work better together
- Vitamin D2 versus D3
19:20 SUPPLEMENT RECOMMENDATION #6: SPORE-BASED PROBIOTICS
- Why we recommend spore-based probiotics for our clients
- We’ve seen spore-based probiotics be significantly more effective than traditional probiotics.
- The myriad benefits of probiotics for fertility and other aspects of your health
22:54 HOW LONG SHOULD YOU TAKE THESE BASIC SUPPLEMENTS?
- Most of these supplements are not forever.
- If you’ve taken supplements for a long time there’s a possibility that you don’t need them anymore.
24:38 THE FAB FERTILE APPROACH TO SUPPLEMENT PROTOCOLS
- One size does not fit all.
- We can’t out-supplement bad diet or lifestyle behaviours.
- Why we take a slow, step-by-step approach to adding new supplements to your routine
Fab Fertile Method – https://fab.basnexus.com/what-we-do/
Get Pregnant Naturally | Related Episodes
- Episode 193: How To Get Pregnant Naturally With Low AMH/High FSH
- Episode 339: Why These Symptoms Matter When You Are TTC
- Episode 6: Functional Medicine 101 and Your Fertility
- Episode 100: What Is Methylation And Why Does It Matter For Fertility? with Dr. Ben Lynch
- Episode 57: What MTHFR Means for Fertility with Dr. Rajka Milanovich
- Episode 42: Magnesium Deficiency and the Link to Infertility with Dr. Carolyn Dean
- Episode 35: What Vitamin D Levels Mean For Fertility with Dr. Will Cole
Mentioned in this episode
- FabFertileStore.com | Ensure your preconception supplements are free from dyes, filler, and top allergens. Check out our fertility bundles with the essentials for preconception health. Use code VIP15 to save 15% off your order.
During our call, we’ll be discussing what you have tried so far and where you’ve faced challenges. This can feel stressful but is designed to help us get to the root cause of your fertility issues and will help me to give you the best possible action plan at the end of the call. However, to reassure you – on this call we won’t be digging into the trauma associated with infertility/miscarriage/loss – rather we are focused on solutions and an ACTION PLAN as to how our Fab Fertile Method can help you get pregnant naturally.
This episode is sponsored by: Legacy
Legacy: the digital fertility clinic that allows you to test, freeze, and improve your sperm from home. Legacy allows you to test your sperm with a mail-in kit so you can produce a sample in the comfort of your own home. Their kits use a transport media that’s clinically proven to protect and extend the life of sperm for overnight shipping.
Legacy’s kit does not require a prescription, and semen analysis starts at $199. Every client has the option to discuss their results with one of their male fertility specialists if they choose.
Use code FabFertile for 20% off your fertility analysis at GiveLegacy.com.
Got questions? Join the Fab Fertile Support Group for motivation, support, and education so that you can prepare for pregnancy success.
Connect with Sarah on social media and learn more about functional fertility solutions that will help you have your baby.
LEAVE APPLE PODCASTS REVIEW: http://bit.ly/getpregnantreview
SHARE: Spread the word! Tell someone else about the show!
HELP SUPPORT THE SHOW!
Love the show? You’ll really love Sarah’s resources page – filled with handpicked products/books/devices – get exclusive discounts and support the show by making purchases.
Find all our resources here: https://fab.basnexus.com/resources/
Listen to Get Pregnant Naturally on your favourite app or by clicking one of the buttons below.
Be sure to HIT the Follow or Subscribe button so you never miss an episode!