Self care is defined as the practice of taking action to preserve or improve one’s own health or the practice of taking an active role in protecting one’s own well-being and happiness, in particular during periods of stress. Now, we know most of us, if not all of us experience periods of stress, yet how many of us actually practice self care?
Unfortunately, many of us learned at an early age, especially women and girls that self care is selfish. If it wasn’t blatantly stated like this, perhaps it was shown to you in the actions of the matriarchs in your life. Maybe you’ve been telling yourself that you just don’t have time for it. However, we are here to let you know that selfcare is far from selfish. Some of us in the wellness space would even argue that it is selfless.
When we take time to care for ourselves, our bodies, our minds, and our souls, we are then the best possible version of ourselves for our community. When we are tired and depleted, exhausted and stressed out, we may be present, but are we our best selves? Not a chance.
Take a minute to think of this analogy. If you fill your cup first, the world gets to benefit from the overflow. If you fill theirs first, you are left with nothing. Nothing for yourself and nothing left to give.
Now think about this. Research from all over the world has proven that simply taking 10 minutes a day for yourself can lead to:
- Stronger immune system
- Increased positive thinking
- Less susceptible to stress
- Improved mental health
- Increased happiness
- Increase productivity + motivation
- Better sleep
- Improved self compassion
- Improved relationships
- Ability to recognize your true priorities
Who doesn’t want that? Better yet, who doesn’t need that? To help you, we’ve gathered a list of 30 different self care activities that 1. Don’t cost a penny and 2. Can be done in just 10 minutes.
- Soak your feet in some warm water, bonus if you can add Epsom salts
- Massage your arms, feet, or any area of your body
- Create a playlist of happy songs
- Take a walk or a stroll in nature
- Have a dance party or karaoke night for one
- Make a sanctuary space just for you
- Go to bed early
- Call a friend you haven’t talked to in a while
- Watch a hilarious movie
- Drink a cup of herbal tea
- Write 10 things you love about yourself
- Create a bucket list
- Create a zen basket for stressful times with your favorite things
- Put your phone on do not disturb
- Do a virtual yoga class
- Marie Kondo your closet
- Take a bath
- Get in your comfiest clothes
- Watch the sunrise or sunset
- Journal out whatever is on your mind
- Write a gratitude list
- Organize your junk drawer
- Unfollow accounts on social media that do not serve you
- Snuggle with your loved ones, including furry ones
- Send a letter to someone
- Write a poem
- Do a guided meditation
- Pencil “me time” into your calendar
- Take 3 really deep + slow breaths
- Say no to something that doesn’t serve you
We will leave you with this. Remember, an empty lantern provides no light. Self care is the fuel that allows your light to shine brightly.
To learn more about how the Fab Fertile Method can help improve your chances of getting pregnant naturally, apply here. We’ll come up with a plan specifically designed for your situation. We specialize in low AMH, high FSH, premature ovarian insufficiency, and diminished ovarian reserve.
Blog by Samantha Coffin – Fertility Coach at Fab Fertile Inc.