Today I’m welcoming Justine Altman back to the podcast!
We’re digging into why addressing constipation matters if you are TTC.
Justine is part of my team here at Fab Fertile. She is an integral part of our Couples Coaching program – which uses functional lab testing, diet, and lifestyle changes to dramatically improve conception.
If you are struggling with infertility…your body is desperately trying to tell you something…focusing on your health will either help you get pregnant naturally or if you do need to go to the fertility clinic it will improve your chances of success.
Justine is a Functional Diagnostic Nutrition Practitioner. She was diagnosed with POCS and struggled with infertility but after taking a functional approach was able to have both her children naturally.
I remember going away on a girl’s weekend (remember those!?!) and somehow we got around to the topic of poop!
Well, it turns out half of the girls on the trip weren’t pooping regularly…as in they were going every couple of days or some even going only once per week!
Now I’ve always been regular (I know TMI) but it turns out we all need to poop an average of 1-3 times/day. I know it sounds like a lot!
But when we don’t move our bowels regularly – toxins recirculate in our body and that is not helpful for our fertility.
If you are constipated or even if you suffer from gas, bloating, digestive upset, and more let’s figure out how we can alleviate your symptoms so that you can get pregnant naturally.
In this episode you’ll learn:
1) The connection between estrogen and constipation and what this means for your fertility (this is for you if you have PMS, hot flashes, headaches, and more).
2) The idea of bowel frequency and what our poop is telling us about our health. (Hint don’t be afraid to look at your poop).
3) The connection between constipation and thyroid problems. Plus how chronic stress impacts constipation.
4) Strategies to improve constipation plus foods to avoid and add to your diet.
5) Supplement recommendations to help alleviate symptoms so that you can prepare your body for pregnancy.
- What causes constipation (and why it’s a concern)
- It’s common, but it’s not NORMAL
- An important topic for BOTH men and woman
- The ideal schedule for going to the bathroom
- Warning signs to know if “something is off”
- How long should your poop be? What should it look like?
- Why even if you are going often doesn’t mean everything is ok
- “When there is an issue of the thyroid, it’s rarely about the thyroid.”
- “Everything is connected.”
- The difference between healthy and unhealthy flora
- Why constipation is one of the first things we have to look at when healing the gut
- How COMMON magnesium deficiency?
- “Magnesium is a goofy thing.”
- So how much do you really need?
- “If your mind is tense we tend to tense our bowels.”
- Making space for the potty and being intentional
- Why use a squatty potty? Which one should we use?
- Rebounding and dry brushing for constipation
- “All of it is connected.”
- Why we should take our time while eating and chew every bite
- Drinking more water eating fiber
- The digestive process and what that means for constipation
- The rest and digest mindset (and why it matters)
- Breathing exercises before you eat
- Different ways to stimulate your vagus nerve (and why you should!)
- Dried fruits, dairy, nuts, and other foods to be cautious of.
- What are they and should we use them?
- Mineral levels and constipation
- Magnesium supplement recommendations
- What about powdered supplements?
- Why aloe vera is important and how it can help
- Salt shots and why we sometimes want to raise sodium
- “It’s really hard to heal if we reabsorb toxins.”
- Why we address constipation FIRST
Book your free Supercharge Your Fertility Discovery call. We’ll come up with a simple plan to help you move forward…towards your dream of having your baby.
Listen here (be sure to HIT the subscribe button so you never miss an episode):