Today I’m welcoming Justine Altman back to the podcast!
We’re digging into why blood sugar matters if you are TTC.
Justine is part of my team here at Fab Fertile. She is an integral part of our Couples Coaching program – which uses functional lab testing, diet, and lifestyle changes to dramatically improve conception.
If you are struggling with infertility…your body is desperately trying to tell you something…focusing on your health will either help you get pregnant naturally or if you do need to go to the fertility clinic it will improve your chances of success.
Justine is a Functional Diagnostic Nutrition Practitioner. She was diagnosed with POCS and struggled with infertility but after taking a functional approach was able to have both her children naturally.
If you were anything like me when I missed a meal or didn’t eat on my schedule I got “hangry”. Yep, hangry is a real thing – it was recently added to the Oxford dictionary and is defined as “bad-tempered or irritable as a result of hunger.”
For me, it was not pretty! I literally had to eat immediately or I became nauseous, irritable, and shaky – and my husband knew to get out of my way!
Now that I’ve balanced my blood sugar – I don’t suffer from this roller coaster of blood sugar spikes anymore and my moods are more stable. Whew!
We see this regularly with our clients.
Whether it’s getting hangry, waking up in the middle of the night (this could be a clue that your blood sugar has dropped) or dealing with chronic stress (stress impact blood sugar) and more – balancing our blood sugar is KEY in order to optimize your body for a baby.
On this podcast you’ll learn:
1) What is insulin resistance and why does it matter if we are trying to conceive.
2) How to test blood sugar and how often to test (simple strategies to help).
3) What it means for our fertility when we get hangry.
4) How stress and sleep are impacted/impact blood sugar.
5) What high and low blood sugar means for fertility and health.
6) How to balance blood sugar and what is the best diet to regulate our blood sugar.
- Why looking at stress on the body is important and how blood sugar has a major role in this
- Is there a difference between men or women and their blood sugar issues?
- The blood is the delivery system for the body
- How the body converts protein and fat to sugar
- What foods spike blood sugar and why
- How stress effects insolence and what happens when we have insolence resistance
- What being “hangry” means about your blood sugar
- Making sure we manage stress (and why it’s important to infertility)
- Why genetics matter BUT why we have more power than we think.
- “Genetics loads the gun but our behaviors pull the trigger.”
- “You can be predisposed to diabetes but you still have control over how it affects you.”
- The most common tests and what they do
- Testing routines that will give you valuable information
- When to test and what we can learn about our meals
- Making adjustments and refinements for what our body can tolerate
- What ideal levels we would be looking for when testing
- “If you have issues it is fixable.”
- Why in functional medicine we consider what is HEALTHY and optimal
- How big the gap is between western medicine and functional testing (and why it matters for your fertility)
- Why our body is telling us a story and why we need to listen
- “Know the numbers, know the data”
- The importance of both the left and right side of the brain when you are trying to get pregnant.
- “We have to think of our bodies as primitive objects.”
- The blood sugar rollercoaster and how it puts stress on the body
- When the body is in stress it does not want to make a baby
- The liver’s role in blood sugar
- How exposure to light can have an effect on your blood sugar
- “The name of the game is we want to eliminate stress if we want to have a baby.”
- Focusing on our diet (and tips on what to eat and what not to eat)
- “Keeping carbs low is the most important thing.”
- A glucose meter (where we can buy one and how to use it)
- Recap of recommendations
Sponsored by: BLUBlox (Sleep+ is the world’s most advanced blue and green light blocking glasses addressing the exact frequencies of light required after dark to optimally produce melatonin for restorative sleep and health) Visit BLUBlox website at: https://www.blublox.com Use coupon code: getpregnantpodcast to receive 15% discount. Free shipping worldwide.
Book your free Supercharge Your Fertility Discovery call. We’ll come up with a simple plan to help you move forward…towards your dream of having your baby.
Listen here (be sure to HIT the subscribe button so you never miss an episode):