Vicki Clifford joins us today as we’re digging into what we wish we knew when we were diagnosed with POI/POF.
Typically the conventional approach offers very few solutions for these diagnoses as IVF is often not an option and donor eggs are a standard recommendation.
What we know after working with couples with low AMH/high FSH is that healing opportunities are regularly missed.
When we look at the whole body we can begin to bring the body back into balance so that we can optimize preconception health.
I know firsthand how hard it is to go through infertility. I was diagnosed with POF/POI at 28 and had both my kids with donor eggs.
Years later I discovered the root cause of my infertility was food sensitivities, gut infections, and chronic stress.
I don’t want you to struggle as I did so I’m sharing what I wish I knew when I was diagnosed with POI/POF.
Today I’m welcoming Vicki Clifford to the podcast. Vicki was diagnosed with POI at 32 and had both her children with donors eggs.
In this episode you’ll learn:
- What we wish we knew when we were diagnosed with POI/POF.
- How we handled the emotional aspects of POI/POF and what we would do differently know
- What we would tell someone who was diagnosed with POI/POF.
Free download: 6 Things I Wish I’d Known About POI https://bit.ly/POIWarrior.
06:30- INTRO TO TODAY’S EPISODE AND VICKI CLIFFORD’S BIO
07:13- VICKI CLIFFORD’S PERSONAL JOURNEY WITH INFERTILITY
- Struggling to get her menstrual cycle back after being taken off the pill.
13:36- FINDING SOLUTIONS & PURPOSE IN PAIN
- The journey finding support when those around you do not understand what you are going through
- Sarah’s story of being diagnosed with POI
- Never getting a second opinion and dealing with grief (Sarah)
- Going through IVF (Vicki) without understanding the “underlying condition”
20:27- HOW WAS YOUR HEALTH BEFORE BEING DIAGNOSED WITH POI?
- Food sensitivities, issues with nuts, alternating your food, and gut healing
- Reducing inflammation and actually enjoying your food
27:44- THE EMOTIONAL SIDE TO POI
- Finding support & the trauma that goes with a diagnosis
- “Women with POI need to cut themselves some slack. It is a really traumatic situation.”
- Compound trauma and the importance of dealing with how you feel
- Triggers in your everyday life and finding peace
- How trauma manifests in your body (paying attention)
- Understanding where the systemic inflammation is coming from (cortisol and stress)
36:53- WHAT WE WISH WE KNEW WHEN DIAGNOSED WITH POI
- Being in flight or flight and dealing with grief and chronic inflammation
- Autoimmune issues: Did one come up?
- The root cause of diagnosis and inflammation in gut health (how that impacts the ovaries)
- The impact of hormonal birth control (and getting other opinions)
- “One-size-fits-all is a heartbreaking approach.”
- “It’s important to be your own advocate.”
- “There is hope.”
- “It has to be a holistic approach.”
- “Preconception is one to two years.”
- “Your body hasn’t failed you. It’s not your fault.”
- In times of stress- what do you default to?
- Not comparing yourself, seeing a bigger picture, and loving yourself
- “Our bodies are trying to communicate but we are not listening.”
50:20- VICKI’S FAVORITE RESOURCES
51:27- VICKI’S FREEBIE: 6 THINGS
Sponsored by Fab Fertile Store. Ensure your preconception supplements are free from dyes, filler, and top allergens. Check out our basic recommendations that are essential for preconception health. Visit https://www.fabfertilestore.com/
Got questions? Join the Fab Fertile Support Group for motivation, support, and education so that you can prepare for pregnancy success.
Connect with Sarah on social media and learn more about functional fertility solutions that will help you have your baby.
LEAVE APPLE PODCAST REVIEW: http://bit.ly/getpregnantreview
SHARE: Spread the word! Tell someone else about the show!
HELP SUPPORT THE SHOW!
Love the show? You’ll really love Sarah’s resources page – filled with handpicked products/books/devices – get exclusive discounts and support the show by making purchases
SHOP here: https://fabfertile.com/resources/
Functional Medicine 101 – https://fab.basnexus.com/blog/functional-medicine-101-and-your-fertility/
Why Addressing These Factors Matters if You Have POI/POF: http://getpregnant.libsyn.com/website/why-addressing-these-factors-matters-if-have-poipof
How To Address Mental/Emotional Stress So That You Can Have Pregnancy Success: http://getpregnant.libsyn.com/website/how-to-address-mental-emotional-stress-so-that-you-can-have-pregnancy-success
Listen here (be sure to HIT the subscribe button so you never miss an episode):