Justine Altman joins us today as we’re digging into our top tips to lose weight during the fertility journey.
Losing weight is easier said than done. And like most people you’ve probably tried A LOT of things to lose weight.
You may even have been told that weight loss is necessary in order for you to conceive or be accepted for IVF.
And while restricting calories and moving more may work for some for others this is not the right path forward.
We may even blame ourselves when nothing works and feel frustrated.
A positive side effect (among many more) of our Fab Fertile Method is weight loss. The weight seems to come off easily and effortlessly. Couples share with all the time that they are surprised by the weight loss.
Let’s see how a functional approach can undercover missed healing opportunities so that you can lose weight and improve your chances of pregnancy success.
Justine is part of my team here at Fab Fertile. She is an integral part of our Couples Coaching program – which uses functional lab testing, diet, and lifestyle changes to dramatically improve conception. If you are struggling with infertility…your body is desperately trying to tell you something…focusing on your health will either help you get pregnant naturally or if you do need to go to the fertility clinic it will improve your chances of success.
In today’s episode you’ll learn:
- Why measuring body mass index (BMI) is all wrong and what to look for instead.
- Which diet is the right when you want to lose weight
- The impact of biochemistry on weight loss (hint its not about willpower)
- How sleep impacts weight and how to optimize your sleep
- Why tracking this can help to give you a starting point to make lasting change
05:56- INTRO TO TODAY’S EPISODE AND JUSTINE’S BIO
06:47- STATS AND HOW IT IS RELATED TO INFERTILITY
- Hormonal imbalances, increased risk of birth defects, etc
- Today we want to give you hope!
- “It’s not just about the weight itself, it’s about what the weight is representing.”
- Understanding there may be more to weight gain than what you are eating.
10:22- BMI- THE FLAWS AND WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW
- What is BMI? Why it doesn’t measure everything that is important
11:40- WHEN YOU HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING- THIS IS WHERE WE START
- “Our weight has less to do with how much we are eating and more to do with what we are eating.”
- Inflammation, food sensitivities, and how this affects your body
Not counting calories, counting chemicals
13:20- FOOD SENSITIVITIES & BLOATING
- Bloating making you look bigger than you are (what this is telling you about your gut!)
- Food habits, and looking to it for comfort
- The spiritual implications of “holding in our gut”, dealing with feelings that your weight is “your fault”
- “Eat less and exercise more isn’t the full formula.”
18:40- GUT HEALTH AND WEIGHT LOSS
- “Our body doesn’t want to lose weight if we are holding on to toxins.”
- What happens when your body doesn’t feel SAFE to lose weight?
21:02- THYROID & AND WEIGHT LOSS
- Thyroid masters our metabolism- we don’t want a slow OR a fast one!
- Why the thyroid gets weak, and how that affects our weight.
24:00- BIRTH CONTROL PILL AND WEIGHT GAIN
- “Freshman Fifteen” or the pill? What is happening in our body?
26:40- HEAVY METALS AND OTHER TOXINS
- They are stored in your fat cells! Our skin is our largest detox organ
- How heavy metals affect our thyroid
29:35- SLEEP HYGIENE, WEIGHT LOSS, & FERTILITY
- How sleep affects blood sugar, makes us more hungry, and craving sweets and carbs
- “What we can tell you is there is hope.”
- Magnesium, diet changes, and other tips for improving sleep
- “If you can’t sleep it impacts your entire life.”
39:40- UNDEREATING, FASTING, AND WEIGHT GAIN
- Everyone responds to undereating and fasting differently
- Some people can eat more and lose weight
37:00- STRESS AND WEIGHT GAIN
- What studies are showing and how our bodies respond to stress
- Why our bodies “hang on” to weight during stress
- Emotions and weight loss, understanding your patterns
- “It’s not always about willpower.”
- An important question to ask BEFORE you “go for a snack”
44:00- TRACKING CALORIES (DOES IT MATTER?)
- Why this is often not even a topic we address
- When should we start tracking?
- Using food journals to “tune into how food makes you feel”
47:44- FINAL THOUGHTS ON WEIGHT LOSS & FERTILITY
Apply for your Supercharge Your Fertility Discovery call here. We’ll come up with a simple plan to help you move forward…towards your dream of having your baby.
Sponsored by: BLUBlox (Sleep+ is the world’s most advanced blue and green light blocking glasses addressing the exact frequencies of light required after dark to optimally produce melatonin for restorative sleep and health)
- Visit BLUBlox website at: http://bit.ly/BLUBlox
- Use coupon code: getpregnantpodcast to receive 15% discount. Free shipping worldwide.
Got questions? Join the Fab Fertile Support Group for motivation, support, and education so that you can prepare for pregnancy success.
Connect with Sarah on social media and learn more about functional fertility solutions that will help you have your baby.
LEAVE APPLE PODCAST REVIEW: http://bit.ly/getpregnantreview
SHARE: Spread the word! Tell someone else about the show!
HELP SUPPORT THE SHOW!
Love the show? You’ll really love Sarah’s resources page – filled with handpicked products/books/devices – get exclusive discounts and support the show by making purchases
SHOP here: https://fabfertile.com/resources/
Fab Fertile Method – https://fab.basnexus.com/what-we-do/
Why Assembling A Team Of Fertility Expert Fast Tracks Success – http://getpregnant.libsyn.com/website/why-assembling-a-team-of-fertility-experts-fast-tracks-pregnancy-success
Why Addressing These Factors Matter If You Have POI/POF – http://getpregnant.libsyn.com/website/why-addressing-these-factors-matters-if-have-poipof
Listen here (be sure to HIT the subscribe button so you never miss an episode):