We’re digging into lipid panels and what you need to know when you are TTC.
I remember eating low-fat yogurt every day for years. I tried every brand, and what they all had in common was low fat. Which meant for it to taste good, it had a ton of sugar.
So many of us are afraid of fat. The low fat craze was a bait and switch tactic to get us addicted to sugar.
Healthy fats help you feel fuller longer, balance your blood sugar, and help to regulate hormones.
We need healthy fats when we are trying to conceive. We’re doing a deep dive into the lipid panel so that you can understand what these markers mean for your fertility.
Even if you’ve been told your cholesterol is perfect or that your triglycerides are in range, we regularly see missed healing opportunities for couples on the fertility journey.
It’s not about myopically focusing on the fertility diagnosis without looking at the body as a whole.
Katy Bradbury is part of my team at Fab Fertile. She is an integral part of our Couples Coaching program – which uses functional lab testing, diet, and lifestyle changes to dramatically improve conception. If you are struggling with infertility your body is desperately trying to tell you something. Focusing on your health will either help you get pregnant naturally or, if you do need to go to the fertility clinic, it will improve your chances of success.
Katy Bradbury is a registered nurse and nutritional therapist whose mission is to improve women’s chances of having healthy babies and raising happy children. Having experienced her own struggles with fertility, a traumatic birth, and bonding issues, Katy knows just how vital this support is.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- Why optimal lipid markers are so important for pregnancy success
- The conventional versus the functional approach when cholesterol/triglycerides are out of balance
- The functional reference ranges for the lipid markers so that you can address missed healing opportunities and improve pregnancy success
- Potential reasons for the markers being out of balance (i.e. infections, poor thyroid function, toxin exposure, blood sugar, genetic predisposition and more)
- The markers that matter for elevated risk of heart attack and stroke
- Diet, lifestyle and supplement recommendations to support a healthy lipid panel
3:50 WELCOME KATY & INTRODUCE TODAY’S TOPIC
5:41 WHY WE ALWAYS DO A FULL LIPID PANEL
- We don’t just want the absence of disease, we want things to be functioning optimally.
- Key markers and functional ranges
8:14 WHAT MAKES THE FUNCTIONAL APPROACH DIFFERENT
- Our cultural demonization of fats
- The overprescription of statins
11:55 THE CHOLESTEROL PANEL
- The misconception that dietary fats are the main driver of cholesterol levels
- How blood sugar levels directly impact your cholesterol
- Main drivers of cholesterol imbalances
- The functions of cholesterol in the body
- Fats are the building blocks of hormones.
- Cholesterol is a gatekeeper for the rest of your health.
17:30 PATTERNS WE SEE WITH LOW CHOLESTEROL
- Cutting out fats is terrible for your sex hormones.
- The best sources of dietary fats
20:57 THEMES AROUND ELEVATED TRIGLYCERIDES
- Triglycerides can act as fuel.
- What low triglyceride levels may indicate
22:44 HIGH-DENSITY LIPOPROTEIN (HDL)
- The functional range we’re looking for when it comes to HDL
- The connection between HDL and your liver
- Looking at things in the context of oxidative stress
25:09 LOW-DENSITY LIPOPROTEIN (LDL)
- Themes we see with high LDL levels
27:43 METABOLIC DYSFUNCTION
- Fiber is so underrated.
- Katy’s favourite sources of fiber
29:49 HOW INFECTIONS IMPACT LIPIDS
- The best diet in the world doesn’t matter if you have infections.
- Chronic infections and LDL
30:42 LEAKY GUT & LIPID LEVELS
- How chronic stress, antibiotics and hormonal birth control can contribute to leaky gut
32:46 THYROID ISSUES
- The siloed nature of conventional medicine
35:16 TOXINS AS A STRESSOR
36:59 THE GENETIC COMPONENT
- The genes don’t mean that that is your fate.
- How you can empower yourself through your diet and lifestyle
- Mental and emotional stress is a huge driver of cholesterol imbalance.
39:30 MARKERS IN RELATION TO STROKE OR HEART ATTACK
- The important role of inflammation in our bodies
- Katy’s recommendation for diet and supplements
- Insoluble vs soluble fiber
44:39 FINAL THOUGHTS
Fab Fertile Method – https://fab.basnexus.com/what-we-do/
Get your FREE Guide to learn specific steps you can take right now to improve Low AMH/High FSH | Top Diet And Lifestyle Tips To Optimize Low AMH/high FSH And Improve Fertility
Get Pregnant Naturally | Related Episodes
- Episode 193: How To Get Pregnant Naturally With Low AMH/High FSH
- Episode 270: Top Tips To Know About Your Blood Chemistry When You Are TTC
- Episode 341: Why A Healthy Vaginal Microbiome Matters When You Are TTC
Mentioned in this episode
Book your Supercharge Your Fertility Discovery call here with your partner
During our call, we’ll be discussing what you have tried so far and where you’ve faced challenges. This can feel stressful but is designed to help us get to the root cause of your fertility issues and will help me to give you the best possible action plan at the end of the call. However, to reassure you – on this call we won’t be digging into the trauma associated with infertility/miscarriage/loss – rather we are focused on solutions and an ACTION PLAN as to how our Fab Fertile Method can help you get pregnant naturally.
This episode is sponsored by: Fab Fertile Store
A healthy gut is essential for preconception health for both men and women, and a probiotic is a good first step to help improve gut health. However, not all probiotics are created equal.
That’s why our team and clients love MegaSporeBiotic. Typically available exclusively from practitioners, I’m excited to announce that you can now access this probiotic when you visit our Fab Fertile Store.
Visit https://bit.ly/fabfertilestore and use code VIP15 to save 15% off your order.
Got questions? Join the Fab Fertile Support Group for motivation, support, and education so that you can prepare for pregnancy success.
Connect with Sarah on social media and learn more about functional fertility solutions that will help you have your baby.
LEAVE APPLE PODCASTS REVIEW: http://bit.ly/getpregnantreview
SHARE: Spread the word! Tell someone else about the show!
HELP SUPPORT THE SHOW!
Love the show? You’ll really love Sarah’s resources page – filled with handpicked products/books/devices – get exclusive discounts and support the show by making purchases.
Find all our resources here: https://fab.basnexus.com/resources/
Listen to Get Pregnant Naturally on your favourite app or by clicking one of the buttons below.
Be sure to HIT the Follow or Subscribe button so you never miss an episode!