Today Sarah Clark and Brandy Buskow are digging into why gluten matters if you are TTC.
I get this question all the time, “should I go gluten-free if I’m trying to conceive”.
As you may know, I was diagnosed with premature ovarian insufficiency at 28 and had both my kids with donors’ eggs. Years later I discovered food sensitivities, gut infections, and chronic stress the cause of my infertility.
I had no idea that gluten was a problem for my health until years later. Looking back the symptoms were there – bloating, dark circles under my eyes (an indicator of food sensitivity), acne, dizziness, mood swings, keratosis pilaris (also known as chicken skin on the back of my arms – exfoliation didn’t help), and of course infertility.
As you may know, we work with complex cases such as low AMH, high FSH, diminished ovarian reserve, and premature ovarian insufficiency/failure.
We see a theme of non-celiac gluten sensitivity with food sensitivity tests coming back with gluten off the charts.
I’m excited to welcome Brandy Buskow back to the podcast.
Brandy is part of my team here at Fab Fertile. She is an integral part of our Couples Coaching program – which uses functional lab testing, diet, and lifestyle changes to dramatically improve conception.
If you are struggling with infertility…your body is desperately trying to tell you something…focusing on your health will either help you get pregnant naturally or if you do need to go to the fertility clinic it will improve your chances of success.
She is a Functional Diagnostic Nutrition Practitioner and Board Certified Functional Wellness Coach and Master EFT Practitioner. She loves supporting women so they can learn how functional medicine addresses the underlying cause of disease or illness.
In this episode you’ll learn:
- Why it is important to go gluten-free when we are TTC.
- Consuming gluten during pregnancy and the potential risks for the child.
- Difference between celiac disease and non-celiac gluten sensitivity.
- Connection between autoimmune diseases and gluten i.e. Hashimoto’s and Irritable Bowel Disease
- Best test for gluten sensitivity
- Supplements to help with gluten exposure – visit fabfertilestore.com – https://www.fabfertilestore.com/
Gluten and Intestinal Permeability – Study – https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4377866/
Excited that our LIVE Fertility Diet Challenge is launching on Nov 8th. You’ll receive newly designed chef-prepared recipes (perfect for fall and curated to optimize fertility). There will be daily motivation, guidance, and support from the Fab Fertile Team. Join the Fertility Diet Challenge here>>>>http://fertilitydietfreebie.com/
Apply here to work with us – https://bit.ly/getpregnantpodcast During our call we’ll be discussing what you have tried so far and where you’ve faced challenges.
This can feel stressful but is designed to help us get to the root cause of your fertility issues and will help me to give you the best possible action plan at the end of the call.
However, to reassure you – on this call we won’t be digging into the trauma associated with infertility/miscarriage/loss – rather we are focused on solutions and an ACTION PLAN as to how our Fab Fertile Method can help you get pregnant naturally.
06:03- INTRO TO TODAY’S TOPIC & BRANDY BUSKOW’S BIO
7:04- WHY THIS TOPIC? SARAH’S HISTORY WITH GLUTEN
08:10- WHY IS IT IMPORTANT FOR A COUPLE TO GO GLUTEN-FREE WHEN THEY ARE TRYING TO CONCEIVE?
- Understanding gluten’s role in leaky gut
- Really thinking through if we need wheat in our diet
- “Every time we eat wheat it causes a reaction.”
- Where does the statement come from that there is a reaction every time we eat gluten?
13:24- SHOULD WE HAVE GLUTEN IF WE ARE PREGNANT?
- Celiac disease and non-celiac gluten sensitivity
- Why the “gold standard” is to eliminate gluten for at least 30 days
- “Treat your body the best you can during pregnancy”
- Different testing for gluten sensitivity
- The power of the elimination diet
19:26- MORE ON TESTING AND WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
20:39- AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE AND GLUTEN
- “Allow your body to do its’ job”
- Testing for cross reactors (and what foods can cause this)
25:19- HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR THE GUT TO HEAL? WHAT ARE THE STRATEGIES?
- The factors that go into healing the gut
- “High stress can cause a leaky gut.”
- “It’s not impossible to make improvements.”
- Other things that can cause leaky gut.
29:04- SOME OF THE PLACES THAT GLUTEN CAN HIDE
- Sauces, supplements, medications, personal care products, etc
- Understanding that seeing “gluten-free” may not mean fully gluten free.
- Resources and tips for looking at fillers and hidden ingredients
- “Wheat is like glue.”
34:20- THE THYROID AND GLUTEN
- Why you may need to go gluten-free if you have issues with your thyroid
36:25- WHAT CAN WE DO TO MINIMIZE OUR EXPOSURE WHILE EATING OUT?
- Tips for communicating with the staff and finding places that are gluten-free
41:17- THEMES THAT WE SEE WITH OUR FERTILITY CLIENTS
- “Is it worth it to you to take gluten out for 6 months so you can get pregnant and your body can be healthy?”
42:44- DIGESTIVE ISSUES & THE LINK TO GLUTEN SENSITIVITY
44:57- FINAL THOUGHTS ON TODAY’S TOPIC
- Encouragement for those who feel overwhelmed and making this a lifestyle
Sponsored by Fab Fertile Store. Ensure your preconception supplements are free from dyes, filler, and top allergens. Check out our basic recommendations that are essential for preconception health. Visit https://www.fabfertilestore.com/
Got questions? Join the Fab Fertile Support Group for motivation, support, and education so that you can prepare for pregnancy success.
Connect with Sarah on social media and learn more about functional fertility solutions that will help you have your baby.
LEAVE APPLE PODCAST REVIEW: http://bit.ly/getpregnantreview
SHARE: Spread the word! Tell someone else about the show!
HELP SUPPORT THE SHOW!
Love the show? You’ll really love Sarah’s resources page – filled with handpicked products/books/devices – get exclusive discounts and support the show by making purchases
SHOP here: https://fabfertile.com/resources/
Fab Fertile Method – https://fab.basnexus.com/what-we-do/
How To Get Pregnant Naturally With Low AMH/High FSH – https://fab.basnexus.com/blog/how-to-get-pregnant-naturally-with-low-amh-high-fsh/
How To Not Waste Time When You Are TTC – https://fab.basnexus.com/blog/how-not-to-waste-time-when-you-are-ttc/
Listen here (be sure to HIT the subscribe button so you never miss an episode):