Today I’m welcoming Justine Altman back to the podcast.
We’re digging into how to optimize male fertility.
Justine is part of my team here at Fab Fertile. She is an integral part of our Couples Coaching program – which uses functional lab testing, diet and lifestyle changes to dramatically improve conception. If you are struggling with infertility…your body is desperately trying to tell you something…focusing on your health will either help you get pregnant naturally or if you do need to go to the fertility clinic it will improve your chances of success.
Justine is a Functional Diagnostic Nutrition Practitioner. She was diagnosed with PCOS and struggled with infertility. She had her first baby with fertility treatments, but after taking a functional approach was able to conceive her 2nd child naturally.
Although we specialize in complex cases such as low AMH, high FSH, diminished ovarian reserve, and premature ovarian insufficiency, more couples are coming to us with both female and male factor infertility.
The Fab Fertile Method is effective at addressing both male and female fertility conditions.
Even if the male partner tells us his semen analysis is fine – we always include a blood chemistry review and a review of his semen analysis using functional reference ranges (these are or optimal levels – so it flags it earlier before it goes to disease) to ensure no healing opportunities have been missed.
So many women are making all the diet and lifestyle changes and the male partner may be supportive and willing to change – but he may not know what can be done to optimize his fertility.
That is why we coach couples. It is not only about getting the female healthy for pregnancy – the male partner must be included to increase the chances of getting pregnant naturally.
In this episode you’ll learn:
1) Functional reference ranges for the semen analysis so we can identify healing opportunities to achieve optimal fertility. We discuss count, motility, morphology, DNA fragmentation and more.
2) Diet/lifestyle and the impact on male fertility
3) Themes we see with male factor fertility
4) Environmental toxins and how to reduce exposure to improve male fertility
5) Supplement recommendations to optimize male fertility (visit www.fabfertilestore.com for specific male fertility supplement recommendations)
05:25- INTRO TO TODAY’STOPIC
06:37- SEMEN ANALYSIS (FUNCTIONAL RANGES)
- The numbers we are looking for
- How the standards have changed
- Numbers collected, sperm count, motility, and other markers
14:26- DIET CHANGES FOR IMPROVING MALE FACTOR FERTILITY
- Elimination diet and food sensitivities
- “Health foods” that may not be healthy for you
17:07- THEMES WITH MALE FACTOR INFERTILITY: LOW STOMACH ACID
- Why would you have low stomach acid?
- H pylori and stomach acid
20:58- THEMES WITH MALE FACTOR INFERTILITY: POOR MINERAL BALANCE
- “Minerals are the spark plugs of the body.”
- Absorption issues and mineral imbalances
23:22- THEMES WITH MALE FACTOR INFERTILITY: LOW IMMUNE SYSTEMS
- “Everything that happens in our body comes from our mouth.”
- “Everything comes back down to the gut.”
25:25- THEMES WITH MALE FACTOR INFERTILITY: BLOOD SUGAR IMBALANCE
- Signs and what to look for WITH blood sugar imbalance
- “You know your body best.”
29:50- THEMES WITH MALE FACTOR INFERTILITY: LIPIDS
- “Everything in the body is connected.”
32:06- THEMES WITH MALE FACTOR INFERTILITY: LOW VITAMIN D
- Getting the right amount of sun (and the positive impact it can have)
34:24- GETTING THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF WATER
- “You don’t know how horribly you are feeling until you feel awesome.”
- “Water plays a huge role.”
- What counts as water? Tea? Coffee?
36:00- THEMES WITH MALE FACTOR INFERTILITY: THYROID DYSFUNCTION
- What happens when the thyroid is low?
37:32- THEMES WITH MALE FACTOR INFERTILITY: LOW PROTEIN INTAKE
38:27- LIFESTYLE RECOMMENDATIONS
- Prioritizing sleep and exercise
- Whatever exercise makes you happy is what you should be doing
- Mental and emotional boundaries
- “Be honest about what you are feeling.”
- The importance of male health issues being attended to as well.
43:10- ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS
- EMFs affecting sperm, controlling temperatures, and supplement recommendations
45:07- LAST THOUGHTS ABOUT MALE FACTOR INFERTILITY
Sponsored by Fab Fertile Store. Ensure your preconception supplements are free from dyes, filler, and top allergens. Check out our basic recommendations that are essential for preconception health. Visit https://www.fabfertilestore.
Book your free Supercharge Your Fertility Discovery call. We’ll come up with a simple plan to help you move forward…towards your dream of having your baby.
Listen here (be sure to HIT the subscribe button so you never miss an episode):