Today I’m welcoming Justine Altman back to the podcast!
We’re digging into secondary infertility and what steps you need to take to get pregnant naturally.
Justine is part of my team here at Fab Fertile. She is an integral part of our Couples Coaching program – which uses functional lab testing, diet, and lifestyle changes to dramatically improve conception. If you are struggling with infertility…your body is desperately trying to tell you something…focusing on your health will either help you get pregnant naturally or if you do need to go to the fertility clinic it will improve your chances of success.
She is a Functional Diagnostic Nutrition Practitioner.
Dealing with secondary infertility is equally as difficult as primary infertility.
You may even feel more alone because society tells you, “shouldn’t you be happy for the one you have?”
If visualize another child in your family, but it’s not working this is heartbreaking and often we feel the added pressure to give our child a sibling.
We’re talking about a functional approach to secondary infertility and healing opportunities that we see that are regularly missed.
Whether you struggled to have your first or had no problems conceiving when we address the underlying reasons as to why it’s not working we can prepare our body in the best way get pregnant naturally.
On this podcast you’ll learn:
1) What to expect after breastfeeding. How long does it for the period to return to normal
2) What are some clues to examine during the postpartum period that could help us figure out why we are struggling to conceive or carry to term.
3) Why including your partner is essential for your success. Why focusing on the infertility diagnosis keeps you stuck and how to know your next steps.
4) Themes we see with secondary infertility (i.e. chronic stress, autoimmune disease, thyroid dysfunction, low sperm counts, POI, PCOS, and more.
5) The emotional issues with secondary infertility (i.e. stigma, judgment, guilt, pressure, and self-blame.
6) How to deal with uncomfortable discussions such as “when are you having your next child?”
05:56- INTRO TO JUSTINE ALTMAN
7:00- INTRO TO SECONDARY INFERTILITY
08:20- WHAT IS SECONDARY INFERTILITY?
9:22- NURSING AND BREASTFEEDING: WHEN DO PERIODS COME BACK?
- Should your period come back IMMEDIATELY after you stop breastfeeding?
- How your body’s resources are depleted after having a baby
13:57- POSTPARTUM CLUES AND HEALING OPPORTUNITIES
- Is anything off with your hormones or cycle?
- What is normal with sleep deprivation and fatigue?
- Thyroid issues in postpartum
- Other symptoms including stress, dry skin, and brittle nails
20:27- POSTPARTUM MOOD: WHAT IS NORMAL?
- It can be “common” but it’s not normal
- Involving your partner- it’s not just YOU preparing for a baby
- Not focusing on the diagnosis but looking at the whole body
24:51- THEMES IN SECONDARY INFERTILITY: CHRONIC STRESS
- Chronic Stress: The “perfect storm” of stressors after having a baby
- Setting realistic expectations to reduce stress and asking for help
- “Ultimately we want to reduce stress by eating foods that don’t add stressors on the body”
- The physical demands on your body after having a baby and how that affects fertility
32:00- THEMES IN SECONDARY INFERTILITY: AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE
- The functional approach to HEAL autoimmune disease
- Reducing stress heals the gut
- Why the diagnosis doesn’t usually matter in functional medicine
35:35 OTHER THEMES IN SECONDARY INFERTILITY
- Sperm issues, C-Section scaring, etc
- “Everything in the body is connected.”
39:02- JUDGEMENT AND LESS EMPATHY WITH SECONDARY INFERTILITY
- When one partner wants another child and the other doesn’t
- The importance of finding emotional support
- Why self-care really can make a difference and finding HOPE
42:40- DEALING WITH THE PRESSURE AND MINDFULNESS
- Pressure from your current child to have another baby
- Dealing with guilt and realizing its not your fault
- Not being emotionally present with your current child/children
- Mindfulness and EMT to stay present and reduce stress
- “No amount of worry will give us a baby.”
- Using “Worry Time” to reduce stress
- Responding when others ask, “When are you going to have another child?”
- “Educate those around you.”
50:38- FREE CALL WITH SARAH AND HEAR HOW WE CAN HELP YOU
Sponsored by: BLUBlox (Sleep+ is the world’s most advanced blue and green light blocking glasses addressing the exact frequencies of light required after dark to optimally produce melatonin for restorative sleep and health) Visit BLUBlox website at: https://www.blublox.com Use coupon code: getpregnantpodcast to receive 15% discount. Free shipping worldwide.
Book your free Supercharge Your Fertility Discovery call. We’ll come up with a simple plan to help you move forward…towards your dream of having your baby.
Listen here (be sure to HIT the subscribe button so you never miss an episode):