Today I’m welcoming Justine Altman back to the podcast.
We’re digging into the AIP diet and what you need to know if you are TTC.
Justine is part of my team here at Fab Fertile. She is an integral part of our Couples Coaching program – which uses functional lab testing, diet and lifestyle changes to dramatically improve conception. If you are struggling with infertility…your body is desperately trying to tell you something…focusing on your health will either help you get pregnant naturally or if you do need to go to the fertility clinic it will improve your chances of success.
Justine is a Functional Diagnostic Nutrition Practitioner. She was diagnosed with PCOS and struggled with infertility. She had her first baby with fertility treatments, but after taking a functional approach was able to conceive her 2nd child naturally.
We get a lot of questions about the AIP (autoimmune protocol) diet and if it is right for fertility. As you may know, we specialize in complex cases such as low AMH, high FSH, diminished ovarian reserve, and premature ovarian insufficiency.
Most people who come to me are eating a “clean” diet. They’ve made the generalized recommendations for fertility but it’s still not working.
We always suggest that both you and your partner start the elimination diet and then further tweak the diet with food sensitivity testing and then potentially an AIP diet if necessary.
But what if you have an autoimmune disease should you consider the AIP diet? Some studies have found that 1/5 of the time premature ovarian insufficiency is actually tied to autoimmunity.
We break down the exact steps to consider so that you don’t waste time on strategies that leave you further away from pregnancy success.
In this episode you’ll learn:
1) What is the AIP diet and when is it best used for someone with low AMH, high FSH, and/or on the fertility journey.
2) What do the studies say about the AIP diet and autoimmune disease.
3) The difference between paleo and AIP diet.
4) What is the best duration for the AIP diet
5) How to reduce potential overwhelm with the AIP diet.
6) What exactly do we eat and not eat on the AIP diet.
06:50- INTRO TO TODAY’S EPISODE AND JUSTINE’S BIO
08:40- WHAT IS THE AIP DIET?
- Based on the Paleo diet- what foods it focuses on
09:22- THE AIP DIET: NUTRIENT DENSITY, GUT HEALTH, HORMONES, AND IMMUNE SYSTEM
- “Belly fillers” versus foods that actually have nutrients
- Why we are not eating necessarily “less” but different
11:03- HOW WOULD THE AIP DIET HELP GUT HEALTH?
- What is leaky gut and how does the AIP diet help?
- “Nutrient-dense foods are repairing to the gut”
- How the gut can repair through diet
12:28- HORMONE BALANCE AND THE AIP DIET
- What the body needs in order to make hormones
- AIP is naturally low carb- which helps our blood sugar
14:28- IMMUNE SYSTEM AND THE AIP DIET
- “The gut is where we absorb our nutrients”
15:21- STUDIES ON THE AIP DIET
- “These studies are catching up to what we already knew”
16:28- AIP DIET VERSUS PALEO DIET
- Specific food differences with these two diets
- The potential issues with eating too many nuts
- The importance of creating a variety in your foods
- “We do better when we get a bigger variety of foods”
21:00- AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE & THE AIP DIET
- The power of healing the gut and healing autoimmune disease
- “In a short amount of time, you can make a major change”
22:55- WHY GO ON THE AIP DIET IF YOU ARE TRYING TO GET PREGNANT?
- The influence of stress on fertility
- Hormone imbalances are symptoms of something else
- “We can have the biggest impact the fastest if we make changes to our diet”
25:33- HOW LONG DO WE NEED TO DO THE AIP DIET?
- Do this 100% for thirty days and then we make a change…
28:48- RESOURCES TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE AIP DIET
- Tips, recipes, and more resources
29:57- TIPS ON KEEPING THE AIP DIET SIMPLE
- Small tips and giving yourself grace
- An idea of what a typical dinner would look like
- How to help with overwhelm
33:21- LIST OF FOODS TO AVOID ON THE AIP DIET
36:29- FINAL THOUGHTS FROM JUSTINE
Excited that our LIVE Fertility Diet Challenge is launching on April 19th. You’ll receive newly designed chef-prepared recipes (perfect for spring and curated to optimize fertility). There will be daily motivation, guidance, and support from the Fab Fertile Team. Join the Fertility Diet Challenge here>>>>http://fertilitydietfreebie.com/
Sponsored by: BLUBlox (Sleep+ is the world’s most advanced blue and green light blocking glasses addressing the exact frequencies of light required after dark to optimally produce melatonin for restorative sleep and health)
Visit BLUBlox website at: http://bit.ly/BLUBlox
Use coupon code: getpregnantpodcast to receive 15% discount. Free shipping worldwide.
Book your free Supercharge Your Fertility Discovery call. We’ll come up with a simple plan to help you move forward…towards your dream of having your baby.
Listen here (be sure to HIT the subscribe button so you never miss an episode):