Did you know the average American reports working 47+ hours a week? And that doesn’t include commuting, household tasks and responsibilities, cooking meals, or anything else necessary for daily living. More alarming is the patterns we see among many of the couples that come to work with us.
- Working more than 40 hours
- Skipping meals
- Prioritizing work over time with partner
- Not getting enough sleep
- Stressed to the max
- Not setting and sticking to their boundaries
- Neglecting self care
- Telling us that they have no time.
Is this you? If you know that even just a couple of these are you, we have a big question to ask.
So how does a baby fit into your life?
Does that feel aggressive? Do you feel immediately defensive? That’s ok, but it is time to get real with yourself. In order to improve your chances of pregnancy success, we have to start to build a life where your baby actually fits in.
Have you heard of the law of attraction before? The Law of Attraction is the philosophy that positive thoughts bring positive results, but also that negative thoughts bring negative outcomes. If thoughts are a form of energy and you believe you have no time, the idea is you are attracting them with the same energy telling the universe you can’t handle anymore (i.e. your baby).
We have witnessed many couples both our clients and others in the world (look up Jenna Kutcher’s fertility store) who start to visualize their life with their babies and make the necessary changes BEFORE they arrive, letting the universe know they are ready.
What does that look like?
- Eating 3 meals a day and blocking your calendar if you need to just like you would do if you were feeding your toddler.
- Standing by the boundaries you set in your workplace, including calendar blocks
- Taking breaks to do a walk and drink some water
- Having a hard sign off time to make space for that invaluable family time
- Scheduling self care just like you would your baby’s pediatrician’s appointment
- Using that accrued PTO
- Asking the hard question: does this job support the family and lifestyle you desire?
We know leaving your job may not be an option but chances are, there is at least one area you can start to improve upon. Journal it out, talk with your partner and pick one thing to start on. Maybe you turn your phones off at 830PM and go to bed together without them. Perhaps you decide on a time you both will be home and ready to cook dinner together. What matters most is that you start noticing what needs to change in your life today to make room for the child you want to bring into this world. Create the world you want for your baby. Be the change.
Blog by Samantha Coffin – Fertility Coach at Fab Fertile Inc.